Reflection

This blog does not include everything we did on the trip but highlights many of the activities and organizations we visited in an attempt to give you an idea of the conflicting situations that has brought CPT to Colombia. 

As I think back of all the people we met and stories we heard, I think of the overwhelming forces that drive a global economy.  For a small percentage of the world's population, these forces bring progress, wealth, buying power, luxury items and many more amenities that we take for granted.  For many others, they bring unemployment, homelessness, hunger, starvation, death, loss of loved ones, no health care or education, shame, and many more things that we would think of as human abuses.

What would it take to stop all the injustices in such a large economic system?  Is it possible to have a global economy without abusing the human rights of others?  What would that economy look like?  What types of policies and regulations would be in place?  How could we keep multinational corporations in check?  What are the roles of government and these corporations in creating an economy that values human rights?  What are our roles as citizens of the world? 

Asking these questions is one step, but will never be good enough.  At some point action will have to be taken.  I am reminded of the many people that are working for the betterment of human life.  At many points during the trip I was happy to see the determined efforts and smiling faces behind so many people that have known suffering as I will never know it.  While I am encouraged to see people who are resilient, I am also saddened to know that despite their efforts people continue to suffer.  The economic forces that all of us participate in are strong.

As one who has benefited immensely from the global economy and whose life has been defined by the very culture that promotes the progress and wealth that has pushed other people down, I find myself in an easily hypocritical position.  How can I profess change when I come from that which is the problem?  There are many things I can do to advocate for change, and I hope that I will take on the challenge.  I also hope that I never think that what I do now, will ever make up for all the suffering that has happened.  We live in a conflicted world and we need to know that.  Though I continue to live with the benefits of the global economy it is my responsibility to understand how I benefit while others suffer.       

 

 

1 comment:

  1. Nathan, You ask more questions than you answer, but I guess that is good. Thanks for this blog and for communicating what you see and experience with others. I know how it feels to write a blog and wonder whether anyone has read it. I want to tell you that more people read it than you think and you may never know that because most people do not comment at all. I think it is a great way to communicate and at least as important to preserve your thoughts so that you can go back later and remind yourself of these things.

    ReplyDelete